Ranch Position Available (Help Wanted)
1500 head cow/calf operation is looking for someone to join us. Housing and utilities provided. Satellite TV and internet available at your cost. Family-owned operation with onsite owners. Not an absentee owner situation.
Duties Include: Checking cows during calving, vaccinating, tagging, doctoring, moving cattle between pastures, checking water, feeding with tractors, delivering liquid feed, unloading hay trucks with tractors, fencing, some light welding, basic maintenance on equipment and the ranch and other duties as assigned. Experience with skid steer, tire repair and basic maintenance on equipment and vehicles is a plus. Farrier experience also a plus. Skills with managing cattle and recognizing health needs is a definite plus.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions:
1. We don’t allow working dogs. A companion dog may be negotiable but we have had our housing units destroyed by pets so we prefer no inside pets.
2. We use geldings and everyone we work with uses geldings. We don’t allow mares at the ranch. If you have geldings, you can bring them. We have geldings you can ride if you don’t have horses to bring. Prefer no more than four.
3. Housing available is a 2 bedroom/1 bath modern mobile home with a porch area added on. Because of this, it may not be suitable for more than 2 people or a small family.
4. Our location is 35 miles from town on a dirt road. It is not on a bus route. Must drive 21 miles one way to access the highway and a bus for school.
5. We do most of our cattle work horseback, but we also use 4 wheelers and Rangers at times. It is not unusual to ride 20-25 miles in a day. Peak riding times are calving, branding, preconditioning and shipping. Being able to rope is desirable. We cover a lot of country and ranch on about 53,000 acres. We don’t consider this to be only a cowboy position or a place to train other people’s horses. You are welcome to ride and work with your own horses, however. We are looking for someone who is an all-around stockman or wants to strive to become that.
6. You will need a valid driver’s license.
7. We have cell service in most areas of the ranch with Verizon service. Other types of cell service don’t get good reception here.
8. 4 wheel drive vehicles are nearly a requirement here. We have snow that drifts roads in and mud in the spring that can make roads a little dicey.
9. We don’t hay or farm. We use tractors to feed with and to unload hay. We fence with a Case skid steer and manual labor. Other than that, it is pickups and horse trailers, and we also have 4 wheelers and Polaris Rangers. No farming, no haying, no irrigation.
10. We are looking for someone who prefers long term employment. If you are experienced and responsible, we will pay you well. In the past we have tried to match or maybe have even done better than other area ranch positions as far as pay was concerned. No health insurance offered. We do carry Workman’s Compensation insurance. Flexibility on time off but it most likely will not be a fixed schedule each week as sometimes we have to do work when weather and schedules allow and many times that will involve a weekend. We do offer bonuses for good performance.
Please send an email to email@example.com. Include resume' or work experience if available.
Copyright © 2022 Stoddard Ranch - All Rights Reserved.